Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Temple Gallery

I visited my favourite London shop today, The Temple Gallery, when I go there I always have to wrestle with myself to not buy an icon, have a look at their catalogue, "a cheap one" normally costs a third of annual income. Some 19th century one's cost a few hundred pounds, others, from the 15th/16th century, several ten's of thousands.



I met Richard Temple, the owner who writes on icons and iconography, very interesting. His catalogues are really quite splendid and lavishly illustrated. The gallery is a ten minute walk from Holland Park tube station, it is tiny, but if you have an interest in icons well worth a visit.

click here fro on-line catalogue

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you do some more commentaries on icons, I printed the one you did on the Baptist and shared it with friends.

Anonymous said...

ps
I love the gallery, if I get to England I'll visit.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...