Friday, November 03, 2006

Off to Rome




O felix Roma, quae tantorum principum es purpurata pretioso sanguine, non laude tua, sed ipsorum meritis excellis omnem mundi pulchritudinem.

I am off to Rome today, until next Thursday, blogging might be intermittent.


Alot of people seem to be going for the wedding of Lord Nicholas Windsor and his beautiful fiance Donna Paola Doimi de Frankopan. It will be interesting to see who I bump into. The great thing about being a priest in Rome is that one always meets old friends and even makes new ones.

I am getting a bit worried about the size of my carbon footprint, it is the third time in in Italy this year, so if anyone wants to plant some trees I will feel just slightly less guilty.

There is a rumour that the proposed indult to allow priests to choose whether to celebrate the old or new version of the Mass might be presented tomorrow, I have just deleted a post in which I said that the Pope is celebrating Mass in St Peter's tomorrow, the feast of St Charles Borromeo and the anniversary of the Coronation of Bl John XXIII, apparently it is a Requiem for dead Cardinals, rather than an extra-ordinary event. Interesting rumour, sorry if I got some people excited. Nevertheless, the strong rumour is that it is coming out very soon and tomorrow would be a fitting liturgical day. I shall keep my ears open.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry about the carbon footprint! Apparently, it's not carbon emissions that are the most important contributor to greenhouse gases, but water vapour.

FatherTF said...

Hope you have a great time in Rome. If you get wind of an announcement and there is a press conference, go to the Sala Stampa with your passport and ask to be admitted. I did this once before (for the press conference launching Redmptionis Sacramentum). They were very welcoming.

Pastor in Monte said...

Thanks Fr Ray. I seem to remember that at Wonersh we used to sing a different (perhaps Clementine) version of the O Roma Felix. If my memory serves me right, this is how it goes:
O Roma felix, quae duorum principum
es consecrata glorioso sanguine.
Horum cruore purpurata ceteras
excellis orbis una pulchritudines.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...