Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Franciscan Friars



Fr John Boyle has a link to some beautiful images the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, click here.

I find them fascinating, one of those new, rigorous, prayerful, thriving communities, that have taken on the New Evangelistion of John Paul II.

I remember being told by one of them that he has never been on public transport for more than half an hour without getting into a lengthy discussion with someone who wants to talk about God. It was story that made me think about wearing a cassock more in public. Certainly people seem to want to talk more if you are wearing one than just a clerical suit.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like all your posts Fr..the photos & explanations are wonderful...an inspiring blog..thankyou...

Anonymous said...

Don't think about wearing one. Please do it. Regardless of all the bad press, the presence of priests offer great comfort to people and is a constant challenge to the secular mindset. The cassock is more arresting than the standard clerical garb, why hide the light under a bushell? They also have the advantage of looking more elegant! Looking forward to a picture!!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't think about wearing one. Please do it.

For a moment I thought Benfan was talking about the beard! I think you'd need a few years to get that level of bushiness...

But, yes, I agree that the wearing of a religious garb is a sign to the world and may encourage people to ask you about the Faith who otherwise would never step foot in a church.

Anonymous said...

Agree with Benfan: go for it! I remember when I was a kid, our PP always went out and about in his cassock.

Dr. Peter H. Wright said...

Yes.
I totally agree with Benfan, David, and CPKS.
Wear the cassock !
Please.

Fr Ray Blake said...

I often wear a cassock, but it does produce negative reactions as well as positive. The other day I was walking through the carpark at Waitrose a couple of Muslim men passed me, one glared and then spat, not at me but it seemed obviously in reaction to me. This is an exception, in most Muslim shops it generally produces additional courtesy.

Paulinus said...

Wear it (the cassock, that is). Greek Orthodox priests are an arresting sight in Sainsbury's.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...