Saturday, July 26, 2008

"They have no reason to live anymore"

Fr Tim has this excerpt from Into the Great Silence, in it a blind monk says, "They have no reason to live anymore".

A number of the children of my parishioners in their twenties/thirties have committed suicide during my time here. I can't help thinking that a loss of faith in God brings about a loss of faith in life and in one's self.

Occassionally as a priest I hear of terrible cases of abuse, for example some years ago there was a little boy cared for in the parish who had been rescued after being kept locked in cupboard, he was taken out frequently to be sexually and physically abused by his step-father. This had gone on for three years until he was seven. He was very disturbed, I could only see him later in life having a reason to live, and knowing how to live, if he could come to know God. I don't know what happened to him but say prayer for him.

3 comments:

gemoftheocean said...

Will do, Father. And for all those who'd taken their life.

Anonymous said...

What an astounding witness of faith.

Terry Nelson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...