Friday, October 17, 2008

St Ignatius of Antioch


The second bishop of Antioch after St Peter, sentenced to be thrown to the wild beasts in the arena, sent to Rome suffered death their under Trajan in 107.

I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body but after that can do no more. I shall show you whom to fear. Be afraid of the one who after killing has the power to cast into Gehenna; yes, I tell you, be afraid of that one. Are not five sparrows sold for two small coins? Yet not one of them has escaped the notice of God. Even the hairs of your head have all been counted. Do not be afraid. You are worth more than many sparrows.
Pray to St Ignatius that priests and bishops will prefer death than denying their Lord in deed or word or thought, or by one act of mortal sin.

1 comment:

JARay said...

St Ignatius of Antioch is a most inspiring saint. He eagerly sought martyrdom and begged those in Rome not to try and prevent it happening. I first read his story on the book Four Witnesses - The Early Church in Her Own Words, by Rod Bennett.
I can strongly recommend it as a most inspirational book.

JARay

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...