Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thoughts on a Power Cut

IN DARKNESS LET ME DWELL

In darkness let me dwell, the ground shall sorrow be,
The roof despair to bar all cheerful light from me,
The walls of marble black that moisten'd still shall weep,
My music hellish jarring sounds, to banish friendly sleep.
Thus wedded to my woes, and bedded to my tomb,
O, let me, living, living, die, till death do come.
In darkness let me dwell.

Ellen Hargis, soprano; Jacob Heringman, lute; Mary Springfels, viol; from CD "A Candle in the Dark"
Don't you love the dissonance?

4 comments:

gemoftheocean said...

Gee whiz Father, you need to post a "Depression alert." Just need to run a warm bath and grab a straight edge razor! After consuming an entire bottle of wine.

I'm not going to put on "When I'm 64 right now either."

You didn't forget to pay the electric bill did you? Hope you didn't have to balance your laptop on the sink upstairs to write this and you at least went across the street to the pub to post it.

PeterHWright said...

As a result of Father's earlier post. I have been reading up on Who Does What in supplying electricity.

Apparently, we still have the National Grid Co., but power cuts, etc., are the responsibility of the local distributor, in Brighton's case, E.D.F. (I didn't know the local distribution network and the electricity company could be owned by one and the same company ! (The law on this must have changed when I wasn't looking.)

I buy my electricity from E.on (or however it's spelled), but the distribution network is owned by United Utilities. Meter reading is done by another company on behalf of the supplier.

Confusing !

P.S. I hope the contents of Father's freezer are still usable.

the hound said...

Ah Dowland! Makes me wish I had not removed the speakers from the computer.

Rubricarius said...

You must have exquisite taste in music Fr. Ray.

If electricity supply companies would supply music like this and some candles for those without a supply I think I would ask to be disconnected.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...