Saturday, August 28, 2010

Papal Books

I have been accused of being negative about the Papal Visit, I must admit to a certain degree of depression at the apparent incompetence and folly that has surrounding its organisation. Much we have seen so far seems so out of touch with everything the Pope has been teaching these past thirty years. As someone who finds the radical nature of Benedict XVI's theology exciting I am looking forward to what the Holy Father will say on British soil.

Yesterday 250 five hundred page paperbacks of the Papal liturgies arrived. I was horrified - the expense! No wonder the costs are spiralling out of control! It is outrageous! They boast a million have been produced!  How many will ever be read?

Having said that,the content is not that bad, the Masses seem quite civilised, there are some quite good little articles by various bishops in it. There are interesting juxtapositions of adverts for worthy causes and Catholic Public Schools. Is the boy in the CaFOD ad actually wanting to go to Downside advertise on the facing page?

The real carbuncle is the Hyde Park Vigil, all those dancing groups: Irish and Polish even Gypsies and lots of nice little ditties, but how do you pronounce "Ngo, ngo, ghamte Chabe"? or "Hata mbinguni tutaenda"?

Well, at least the nonsense stops when the Pope arrives.

12 comments:

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

I think it's a wonderful initiative!

Bring on the Poles & the gypsies & anyone else too!

I don't regard it as nonsense..

Anonymous said...

I burst out laughing when I read that even Tesco had been saved. Who, what, or where is Teso for heaven's sake?

Fr Steven Fisher

Maurice said...

I think they're beautiful and worthy of the visit of the Prince of the Apostles to this land. God is good!

Gladiatrix said...

There is an article in today's Sunday Times Magazine by Bryan Appleyard on the Papal Visit. A good read.

pelerin said...

And I thought Father Ray was joking this morning when he said the booklets contained 500 pages!

Can anyone enlighten me on the Mosaic on the cover please? I believe pomegranites have some spiritual significance. Does the figure represent an early portrayal of Christ? I have not yet found any comment inside of this but then it is going to take sometime to read.

Fr Ray Blake said...

It is from Hinton St Mary, Dorset, 4th century.
I think it is likely to be Arian!!!

The pomegranites probably signify fecundity.

Dilly said...

I got one today. It is lovingly and professionally produced, and I don't want to fault those who put their heart and soul into producing it - but the economics of it seem very naive. Everyone at Mass took one. I don't know how many are going from the parish - as there are 168 people who regularly attend - there won't be a large quota. Three people left money. I am going to the vigil with a non-parish group, at minimal expense, so was happy to contribute over the odds, but was shocked that other people wouldn't even cough up a small token. I prophesy a dire return on the money expended. Very sad.

Fr Ray Blake said...

A Westminster Priest,
I am sorry I don't publish anonymous comments.

I think there is a certain clerical culture which prefers the shadows rather than openness, I have many vices but not that one. That is what I criticise in the Eccleston Square culture, not our bishops. That culture places mistakes, stupidity and errors above question, it led in large part to the sexual abuse cover-ups.

-----

Unlike the Poles and Irish, "even gypsies", well Roma Gypsies, aren't exactly main stream in our national church's life.
However, Morris Dancers or Northumbrian Clog Dancers are notably unrepresented, apparently, amongst the terpsichordian "entertainment".

ARbrighton said...

I genuinely hope that this visit will inspire, renew, and restore faith and dedication to God. However, I can't help but worry that the Pope, the Vatican, and the entire Church have deeper and far more serious issues to deal with than this possible PR benefit at the moment, and it could backfire badly.

Father, I'm also confused as to what you mean by the 'carbuncle'(?) you refer to in the final paragraph? Is this a religious festival of music and dancing or something? Maybe I've misunderstood?

Fr Ray Blake said...

Carbuncle?
See here
http://marymagdalen.blogspot.com/2010/08/liturgical-entertainment.html

Jeremy said...

Would those who have the book please share what the music is like for the three principal liturgies + ecumenical evensong (in particular the Westminster mass)? I'm a musician so naturally interested in the details but I didn't manage to get a copy :(

Fr. David Evans said...

....perhaps it is just me but...I thought the Paschal Candle was extinguished for Benediction not lit specially. Why have a symbol when you have the real thing? And then after Benediction with the Blessed Sacrament we listen to the Rutter ' The Lord bless you and keep you..' Again, has the real thing not been effective??

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...