Friday, August 24, 2012

One of the kindest things


It is Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor 80th birthday today and so today he relinquishes his role as a voting member of the Conclave and as member of the Congregation for Bishops.

As the Bishop of Arundel and Brighton he ordained me and showed me and many others so many acts of kindness. He cared for his priests.
He gave me permission to try my vocation as a monk and after a few months came down to the monastery and spent a few days on retreat, we talked quite a bit about God and prayer but never whether I was I going to stay or come back to the diocese, he said, "I just wanted to come and be with you". It was one of the kindest things anyone has ever done for me.
It is sad that a few months later his kindness to another of his priests did so much damage to him as Archbishop of Westminster.

5 comments:

Hughie said...

"It is Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor 80th birthday today and so today he relinquishes his role as a voting member of the Conclave and as member of the Congregation for Bishops."

First bit absolutely correct, second bit I don't know. According to the motu proprio "Ingravescentem Aetatem" his membership should automatically cease, but the Holy Father COULD have allowed him to continue. The motu proprio does say that membership will cease even if the quinquennium hasn't been completed but Pope Benedict may have indicated to him that he wishes him to complete it. Has any announcement been made? I have read the notice on the archdiocese's website but has Rome said anything?

Amfortas said...

Happy birthday Cardinal! He was very kind towards me as a Westminster seminarian.

Frederick Jones said...

A friend of mine, a Director of Education, described him to me as "a perfect gentleman".

johnf said...

I liked the interview with Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor in the Herald this week where he surmised that all Cardinals go into the conclave with a name up their sleeve just in case.

When asked what his choice(s) were he said that he had thought of Adrian (following the only English Pope) or Gregory or Benedict.

Fancy! Adrian VII - shades of Frederick Rolfe (Baron Corvo)!

Gigi said...

Nice to hear of his personal kindness to you Father Ray. The word "gentleman" has been used many times by people who've encountered him.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...