Sunday, July 22, 2007

I am Justinian


In the sixth century, Justinian accomplished the brief recovery of the empire’s old territory in the east, in Africa, and in the west. His victories, however, were hard won over the course of decades, and they came at a great cost in human life, not to mention taxation. Paradoxically, Justinian’s military successes probably contributed to the empire’s subsequent decline. The conquered lands were hardly secure, and many were lost in the years after his death. During his reign there was a great flowering of Byzantine culture, whose monuments remain in Istanbul (e.g., Hagia Sophia) and Ravenna. His reconstitution of Roman law, the so-called Justinian Code, is still the basis of civil law in some modern states. Justinian is venerated as a saint in the Orthodox Church.
Check out the Justinian Code to find out more about the man.
Also, be sure to check out Which Church Father Are You? quiz!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha-ha---I don't know why I bothered taking time to take the test. I could have guessed....Jerome....

fr paul harrison said...

It would appear that I am St Melito of Sardis "with a love of history and liturgy"

Anonymous said...

Happy Feast, Father!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear - I was Origen! Good job I'm a girl.....

Dr. Peter H. Wright said...

By varying my answers to the questions, I came up as :
1. Jerome
2. St.Melito of Sardis
3. Tertullian
4. St. Melito of Sardis
5. St. Justin Martyr
An interesting mixture, wouldn't you say ?

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...