Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Liberalism

I rather enjoy reading Dr Joseph Shaw's blog, I was interested that he should pick up on something written by one of my parishioners, Dr Tim Stanley a rather clever and amusing historian who is in the States at the moment writing on Holywood. In this passage he writes about Liberalism in American politics but he could be writing Liberalism in the Church.

No, the problem that the conservative faces isn’t intellectual, it’s social. Conservatism tends to be raw and unfiltered. In conversation, it punctures the Zen equilibrium that sustains everyone in Los Angeles. The industry works by networks and anyone who can’t sustain a long conversation about the importance of raw carrots and natural fibers to the functioning of Yin and the flowing of Yang won’t fit in. One Right-wing writer told me that following 9/11, he found work dried up. There was plenty of interest in his output (he’s deservedly famous) but when it came to small talk before pitches, or the gossip at the writers’ in LA Farm, he was immediately frozen out. “People would open with, ‘Isn’t George Bush a moron?’ And I would say, ‘No, I voted for him.’ And I could feel I was losing their respect.”
True, this suggests that Hollywood has a leftward prejudice. But the real problem with what the writer said wasn’t the content but the act of disagreement itself. Hollywood conversations deal in hyperbolic affirmations covering for lies: “You’re amazing. That pitch was the best ever. You’re the most beautiful woman I’ve ever met. Adam Sandler is the funniest man alive!” Disagreement and contradiction are acts of verbal rape.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Fr whatever is written below " writing Liberalism in the Church" can't be read on the website.

Dom Estos said...

I must say I laughed out loud when I read your first sentence which includes a slight slip of the pen (finger). You have said you enjoy reading Dr Shaw's BOG. There is an 'L' of a difference to what you intended, although I have heard of people who place books and magazines in the smallest room in the house.

Fr Ray Blake said...

Dom Estos,
corrected - thanks

Terry said...

@ Dom Estos

Lol. (;

Perhaps reading the "bog" is like reading tea-cups.
It's amazing what humans will use for divination.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...