Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Heaven


Julian of Norwich describes heaven as a place of "eternal joy". She explains: "But we are not blessedly safe, possessing our endless joy, until we are all in peace and in love, that is to say wholly contented with God and with all his works and with all his judgments, and loving and content with ourselves and with our fellow Christians and with everything which God loves, as is pleasing to love.



"This meme has one question: How do you envision heaven?"


I know that these memes can be quite demanding timewise, especially if one has timetabled ones blogging day, so if you are a blogger on my site list consider yourself "tagged". If you are blogless put something in the comments.
This is actually an important topic, our vision of heaven forms our understanding of God, of his Church, of worship, of ourselves and our relationship with others. The failure to articulate any eschatology whatever by many priests and bishops does the Gospel a serious disservice.

I don't have too much time at the moment, I have to go up to Town today, I am going to the Barbican to hear the Mozart Requiem which for me is most beautiful and articulate vision of Heaven.

I'll return to this later in the week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the music, Father. Happy St Francis Day!

JARay said...

Saint Julian of Norwich?!
Since when?
Are you perhaps going to accord the same acolade to Margery Kempe?
Julian certainly was a marvelous woman and Margery had her problems, but she too was an incredible, indefatigable woman.

JARay

Fr Ray Blake said...

"Saint",
John, thanks for pointing that out, I cut and pasted from Catholic fire, I have removed "St." here.

Jean Heimann said...

Sorry about that!

She's still Blessed, isn't she?

I found "Saint" in front of her name listed on Google like this:

Patron Saints Index: Saint Julian of Norwich Patron Saint Index profile of Saint Julian of Norwich; illustrated.
www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintj85.htm - 6k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

I agree with you, Father.
Listening to Mozart's music must certainly be a part of heaven.

Have a beautiful week, Father!

I am eager to hear more about how you envision Heaven.

Fr Ray Blake said...

I don't think she "Blessed" either I don't think there is any historic record, apart from the book, that she existed.
Anglicans occasionally "canonise" or "beatify" her.

gemoftheocean said...

Done, Father.

Karen

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...