Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mopping and whinging

Say a prayer!
I know this is a bit self indulgent.

Everything that could go wrong with the project to restore the church seems to have gone wrong in the past week or so and we are quickly running out of money.

We moved some radiators to restore the original width of the central aisle, ever since we have had leaks, last Wednesday I had to cancel Exposition and Benediction and spent a couple of hours mopping up water, then before our Saturday evening Mass another of them started spouting hot water. Bill, the plumber came out and almost fixed it fixed but I still had to get up a couple of times in the night to empty buckets.

The new lighting scheme depends on taking a great wadge of cables from the sacristy at the front of the church wher the electricity comes into the church to the back, we had intended to take it under the floor, tests showed that we have asbestos in the crypt of the church. In 2001 I spent pratically every penny we had and more encapsulating it but it is still a problem.

Most evenings I spend an hour or so in the church mopping tyhe benches to get rid of the dust from the slow, slow process of cleaning off the horrible grey paint for the stone. We clean it off withe a chemical preparation which is then neutralised, afterwards it has to be rubbed down with fine sandpaper. All rather messey!
I really have been self indulgent and feeling sorry for myself, the last week of the liturgical year  is always a bit of sad time, there is my birthday, the day after is the anniversary of my mother's death, the day after that is the anniversary of a very good friend of mine, it is always bit a numbing.

I am not being tortured or imprisoned for the faith, my parishioners can come to Mass freely, I am not in physical pain, I haven't sick or dying children or a spouse to worry about, no one is bombing or threatning us, we are not cleaning up after flood or a disaster.

But if you can spare an Ave or two I would be grateful.

27 comments:

Lucy said...

Happy to, Father - it is always a privilege to pray for a spiritual father. And happy belated birthday to you, also.

Ma Tucker said...

God is good. Ave's on the way.
Ha ha the word verification came up with FLOOD - fancy that.

pelerin said...

Of course Father. And as my mother used to say to me when worrying about something - Nil desperandum! (I never knew whether this was real Latin, dog Latin or even cat Latin but I guessed its meaning without ever asking!)

I do hope the radiator problems solve themselves soon. Their repositioning has certainly given space to the aisle.

Richard Collins said...

A Rosary at least Father.

Fr. Zuhlsdorf o{]:¬) said...

Even three, friend. Solidarity.

Mick said...

Sorrowful mysteries in twenty minutes or so from now.

Independent said...

The Almighty is obviously giving Job a rest in favour of you. The psalm "By the waters of Babylon we sat down and wept" springs to mind.

Sue Sims said...

More practically, do you have a Paypal account, or can one send you a cheque to put towards the renovations?

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for a belated happy birthday, and prayerful sentiments for those radiator problems and the wretched asbestos

Anonymous said...

Prayers for you of course, Father.

diff said...

You are in my prayers Father. May God bless and keep you

FatherTF said...

Father, really! When you were at seminary, did you not listen to the Ecclesiology lecture which dealt with cables, asbestos and radiators?

Seriously though, sorry to hear of your troubles. These things sap one's energy and take away our time. Will say the three Hail Marys and you are now down for the Memento vivorum at Mass in the morning.

berenike said...

:(

sympathy prayers

Zephyrinus said...

Dear Fr Ray. Firstly, Happy Birthday from all your Bloggerees !!! Secondly, you are now on my Prayer List. Thirdly, I feel the same as you, at times, so could you be kind enough, please, to keep me in your Prayers ? in Domino.

mikesview said...

Father,
Echoing Richard Collins, we will join in the thunderous roar of all those Ave's with a Rosary, but hope you won't mind sharing it with our beleaguered Chaldean brethren.
Would extra hands for moppage duties be a help or a hindrance?

Joe said...

A Memorare just said for your intentions, Father.

Fr Ray Blake said...

Thankyou for your prayers everyone.
Sue there is link to our paypal acc. for the restoration fund in the sidebar.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Fr Ray. And, of course, prayers are on the way.

georgem said...

I now have a valid reason to pray for a win on the National Lottery. Kerching!
In the meantime, however, the prayers requested have been said and will continue, including one of my favourites the Memorare, plus the inclusion of your parents in my nightly prayers for the souls of the faithful departed.
This is always a difficult time of year, I think, with increasingly darker days and energy levels low and when everything is twice as difficult to accomplish; a time of deep reflection in the lead up to Advent.
God will provide.

Mulier Fortis said...

Prayers as requested, Father... remember, there's a light at the end of the tunnel (just pray it's not an oncoming train!)

me said...

A very happy belated birthday Father. Perhaps try to see the two anniversaries linked to your own as a cushion of spiritual comfort, and draw strength from this fact, rather than sadness, knowing you are all still very much alive in Christ Jesus and praying for each other, in your respective time and spaces. And spare a little compassion for yourself too. It's a bloomin' uphill struggle, this old life of ours. It'll be worth it in the end, or rather the beginning, if you see what I mean (Eternity).

My prayer re the church work difficulties:

"Lord, you tell us that unless You build the house, the labourers work in vain: so please Lord, let Father Blake have a much needed respite and bring in some heaven sent builders therefore fulfilling Your Will. I seem to remember a firm, from years ago, now what was their name? Ah, yes, the Nazarene Carpenter and Son. Thankyou for answering this prayer. Amen."

Father, invoke St Joseph, what's to lose? I find myself in similar situations and always ask the Holy Spirit to get practically involved. Doesn't matter how small the problem is either. God likes us to bother Him apparently. Then I listen, (or continue to bother Him) until He does! I don't always get what I initially wanted, but I do get what I need!


Rosary coming up.....

Dominic Mary said...

Happy Birthday - ad multos annos - and, of course, prayers for your well-being . . . but also ongoing prayers for your actions in the Church, and your valuable Ministry there.

pattif said...

Aves done. Happy belated birthday.

Christina said...

Just said a Memorare for you Father .

Christina said...

A Memorare has just been said for you Father .

Once I Was A Clever Boy said...

I will certainly offer up some prayers, and acandle to Bl.John Henry for you and the restoration project, both in gratitude and for what is still to come. Happy birthday and very many happy returns thereof.

universal doctor said...

Certainly Father, and may God bless you and all your work. You've shaken me from my self-pity and complacency.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...