Looking around the blogosphere, I find I have become a "stalking horse", Carpe Canem, who has this picture up, and On the Side of Angels have taken me as their candidate for the Archdiocese of Westminster, I saw a couple of references to me on Holy Smoke. I am a bit dissappointed because I really want Venice!
Can you imagine the flying pigs?
Off the top of my head this is what I would do, this is my manifesto!
- I would ban concerts in the Cathedral or anything other than worship.
- Insist every Justice and Peace group in the diocese are anti-abortion and pro-life.
- Make sure every parish in the diocese has a Holy Hour once a week for the promotion of priestly vocations.
- I would try to get to know my priests and make their welfare, especially their spiritual welfare, a diocesan priority.
- Encourage and join in public acts of witness and faith on the streets of the diocese, like the Rosary Crusade, so important we are seen to believe.
- Insist on priests and religious becoming visible on the streets.
- Insist that all priests are idoneus in the rubrics of the usus nova and have knowledge of the usus antiquor, even if they choose not to say it.
- Encourage the orthodox New Movements to come into the diocese.
- Do all I can to encourage the frequent use of Confession.
- Insist priests do all they can to encourage daily Mass.
- Insist the that the Catechism is the basis for all formation in the diocese and that anyone with a leadership role accepts the Catholic faith in its fullness.
- Make sure Catholic schools, hospital and other institutions are real partners in mission and promoting the Catholic faith, forbid any notion of mere "Catholic ethos" and remove the title "Catholic" from those not able to.
- Make schools publish figures for Sunday and weekday Mass attendance.
- Forbid the selling of material in Churches that did not support the magisterium (I want to convert TheTablet, maybe appoint Aidan Nichols as editor in chief).
- Publish a New Westminster hymnbook and insist on it being used in the diocese, encourage people to sing the Mass rather than just hymns.
- Insist bishops took responsibility for their own dioceses rather "hide" under the cloak of the Bishop's Conference.
- Take the formation of men in the diocese a priority (this isn't sexism just men seem to be especially badly formed).
- Insist on Confirmation and proper Catholic formation before marriage.
Other things I would do is just talk endlessly about Catholicism as mainstream Christianity. I think I would also appoint Damian Thompson to run Eccleston Square, and the media office and put Mulier Fortis and Daphne McCloud in charge of RE in our schools and adult formation. I think I might make sure a couple of the Fathers of the London Oratory had a prominent role on the diocese liturgy and music committes. I would start using the High Altar of the Cathedral for Mass.
Anyone who has been involved in this silliness by mentioning me in conjuction with Westminister can consider themselves tagged for the MEME: "If was the Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster I would....".