Friday, February 02, 2007

A Rublev Deeisis




:
.
.
.
.
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
;
;
;.
.
;
.
Iconastas has a Deeisis attributed to Andrei Rublev on offer, very expensive I should think, I rang Chris at the shop in Piccadilly Arcade to ask how much, "We haven't even thought about it,"he said. Apparently they were the property of a dealer in Lebanon who bought them in the 1960s and held onto them. They are small domestic icons about 8" tall, the experts who have seen them suggest Rublev as a likely artist.
If you go to the shop they aren't there but will displayed later in the year at a masterpieces exhibition.
My mouth waters, so if you are looking for an anniversary of ordination present for me, or just a nice gift, or even if just wanted to house them with me for a decade or so, I would be absoluted delighted.
Aren't they wonderful, the simplicity of line, the minimum of detail, the empitomy of "noble simplicity".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We'll see what we can do

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...