Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Story from the Spanish Civil War


Many of my friends had relatives who fought against Fascism in Spain. It is perhaps easy for us English to know more about this dreadful war from Hemingway and other left of centere writers but here is a story about the execution of the monks of El Pueyo by the Left. It is rather gruesome.

http://monknotes.blogspot.com/2006/05/ad-1936-spain-benedictine-martyrs-of.html
I am the one who killed the Prior of El Pueyo and from that time on, I have not had one day of peace. I cannot sleep two nights in the same room, because I see in front of me the reflection of his eyes, which is unbearable and deeply upsets me. I commanded the executioners, when the Fathers were conducted from the prison to the truck.

No comments:

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...