I was away at the Confraternity of Catholic Clergy UK Colloquium,which was great fun, just short by two or three of 100, almost twice as many as last year but more on that later.
There was a sprinkling people who worked in the some of the Vatican dicasteries, as well Archbishop di Noia. There was an interesting discussion last night, not with the Archbishop, someone said there will be a new consistory announced soon and the interesting thing will be the people not given a red hat!
And today a new consistory was announced and the cardinals-designate are:
- Archbishop James Harvey, 63, the Milwaukee-born prefect of the Papal Household (who, Benedict said today, he will soon name as archpriest of the Basilica of St Paul's Outside the Walls);
- Patriarch Bechara Boutros al-Rai, 72, the Lebanon-based head of the worldwide, 5 million-member Maronite church;
- Major Archbishop Basilios Cleemis, 53, head of India's Syro-Malankara church – the first hierarch from the 600,000-member community to receive the red hat (and, by two years, set to become the youngest cardinal);
- Archbishop John Onaiyekan of Abuja (Nigeria), 68
- Archbishop Ruben Salazar Gomez of Bogotá, 70
- Archbishop Luis Antonio Tagle of Manila, 55; head of Asia's largest diocese
And the interesting thing is those not given a red hat.