Saturday, April 09, 2011

Lenten Veiling

I always get a jolt going into the church during Passiontide, it is shocking to see the Lenten veiling up, to see the familiar images of the saints covered up.
I don't know if many other parishes do it, as it is optional nowadays, but it is such a powerful reminder that Lent is coming to its conclusion, that it is only the Lord that matters, that the things that we use to come close to Him, images of Him or images of the saints, even the saints themselves are of little importance. Ultimately all that matters is that He comes to us, and we and the Church are called to empty ourselves, as He did, so that might sanctify us.

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Thank you.

David said...

Mary,Mother of God, Ponders End is veiled. Didn't realise it was "optional" as all the churches where I have worshipped (Anglican and Catholic) in 50 years have veiled. You learn somethin g every day.

Robert said...

Very nice thanks!

nickbris said...

Thankyou Father Ray,We have always thought we had a beautiful church but I think it is looking better than ever.

ethel b said...

it looks like you've only veiled every other statue, is that right or is the picture decieving?

Gigi said...

I figured it was optional and possibly even seen now as "hard-core clericism" as I've attended churches in London and they have never veiled. My mother's parish church in Lymington, Hampshire, has draped the purple veils beautifully, sash-like, across the shoulders of the blessed statues. Not sure if the statues there wil be veiled for Good Friday.
Friends in Northern Ireland tell me their statues are veiled through Lent; friends elsewhere in Sussex have said their churches don't observe this.
I admit I like the intention better than the practice: I don't like to see beautiful and very moving statues covered. But the veiling is an equally emotive leveller of thought towards Our Lord.
Thank you for a very thoughtful post Father Ray.

Physiocrat said...

Much improved, but the poor lonely altar looks as if it is waiting to be re-united with its reredos.

Anonymous said...

I want an antependium like that, where did you get it?

Fr Ray Blake said...

Antependium is just silk stretched over a frame with gold braid.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...