Friday, June 12, 2009

Corpus Christi at SMM






































A few Photographs of Corpus Christi last night.

I am getting old it was the first time I did subdeacon. I couldn't genuflect as fast as Fr Sean or Dr Reid, and my hand began to twitch a bit holding the paten.

... and we ended up talking until past two in the morning - yawn -yawn -yawn.

I was very impressed by the music, thank you Clare and Jane and choirs.

Andrew our MC was marvellous with the servers, some of them had never served Mass before, let alone the TLM. The only problem was the subdeacon, he kept standing the wrong place. Is there "Subdeaconing for Dummies"?

It was interesting on the few occassions I glimpsed the congregation to see the number of students, but more significantly, members of the University faculty in the congregation.

By the way yesterday was the eve of Fr Sean Finnegan's birthday.


I notice Fr Tim thinks he had more candles and servers, so? I bet we had more Doctorates amongst the servers! Not that either of us are into rivalry, merely giving glory to God. Though we got our photographs up first!

16 comments:

Annie said...

Oh how beautiful! I wish we could have been there!

David Kitto said...

Lovely pictures, thanks, Fr. Ray. many congratulations on all your combined efforts.

I was privileged to attend the High Mass at Birmingham Oratory which was a splendid occasion as well.

We are very fortunate...as are your parishioners.

CloisterM said...

Beautiful photos and beautiful Church. Thank you Father Ray. I wish, I wish, I wish

Elizabeth said...

How wonderful Father, although I must admit our celebrations at Blackfen with Father Tim were 'out of this world' and we had even more candles on the Altar.
Thank you to our Good and Holy Priests. You are in our prayers.

ffn said...

The vestments looked very striking.

gemoftheocean said...

Well done, good and faithful servant(s)!

[My personal thoughts on that "paten held at a fatiguing level through the consecration" are that some monk at one time ticked off his abbot, who turned to him and said "Okay, for your penance, THIS Sunday high Mass when you get in line behind the deacon at the consecration, you're going to have to hold the paten at eye level in a fatiguing position, the ecclesiastical equivalent of water-boarding. If someone asks you WHY, don't tell them you are being punished. I'll come up with a good allegorical explanation later."\]

epsilon said...

I managed to get there too (my first time at SMM) - the Mass was a great tribute to Corpus Christi. On the way I called in at Arundel Cathedral which was packed out. The music at SMM would have been so beautiful in the cathedral, if only...

ORQUIDEA NEGRA said...

Congratulations Fr. Ray how beautiful!

Terry Nelson said...

The vestments are stunning - what a lovely feast day.

Volpius Leonius said...

Good job Father looks wonderful, God is truly glorified.

Mulier Fortis said...

It looks awesome!

BTW, I've tagged you for a meme. Yes, I know I'm being a pain, but go on, humour me, I'm feeling fragile... pretty please!

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

Beautiful...Sigh, but I'm here in the US.

Fr Ray Blake said...

Epsilon you should have come say hello, do it next time you are in Brighton.
I'd love to meet you.

nickbris said...

Very well done Father Ray,the vestments were Superb

epsilon said...

Thank you, Father, I will!

becket said...

If I only had a parish in my neighborhood like this one. Great job Fr Ray!!.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...