Friday, March 25, 2011

Launched: British Province of Catholic Clergy

Some of us have been talking about setting up a British Province of the Confraternity of Catholic Clergy, now one has been set up under the patronage of Saint Gregory the Great.
Looking at the profile of the younger priests of my own diocese and others in the South, I think this might appeal, its objectives are:
Fidelity to Sacred Scripture, Magisterium, the Councils and the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and to the inspirations, initiatives of the Holy Father.
Formation in human, spiritual, doctrinal aspects of the Priesthood, and assistance in the Priestly ministry of teaching, sanctifying and governing.
Fraternity in mutual support and encouragement of Priestly life and ideals by conferences, local chapters, study, Retreats and publications.
To join send £20 to CCB, St Mary Magdalen's Presbytery, 61 North Worple Way, Mortlake, London SW14 8PR, seminarians and vopwed religious can belong free
Join if you want to come to the next Chapter Meeting which is:

Tuesday 29th March 2011
in St Joseph's Pastoral Centre New Malden KT3 3QW
Fr Aidan Nicols OP will speak on
Priesthood and the Conversion of England
coffee 10.45am - Conference begins at 11.15am with Benediction at 1pm and lunch at 1.30pm

The Convenors are Fr Peter Edwards, Fr Marcus Holden & Fr Richard Whinder.

The Confraternity started in Australia by some younger priests where it seemed to have a significant effect in changing to the direction of the Church there, it has spread to the US and now, thank God, to the UK. At the moment its activities are based in the southern dioceses but local chapters are being organised in the Midlands, Northern, Western and other areas.
Although the Southern District Chapter meetings are in South London it is hoped a more central location will be found.
I am sure if lay people want to assist financially with printing and postage and other expenses or just to show support donations would be very welcome.
I am sure those joining the Ordinariate would be most welcome too.

3 comments:

JARay said...

I am very pleased that this has happened. I am a lay supporter of the Australian Confraternity of Catholic Clergy. I just thought that you might like to know that such people exist. I pay a modest sum to the ACCC and, although I am not invited to attend their conventions, I do receive their magazine "The Priest" and I do support them with my prayers.

Anthony Bidgood said...

Dear Father,

Like JA Ray I am a lay subscriber to 'The Priest' I believe the ACCC arose in response to another organization, the National Association of Priests (?), who supported fully the 'spirit of Vatican II, but also claimed that they represented all priests in Australia. They did and do not.

Anthony Bidgood

Fr Denton said...

Hi Fr Blake, I am a member of the ACCC and through it I have met many faithful priests around Australia and have been supported morally by the knowledge that there are so many orthodox priests in our country. I was at the 1st international joint USA/Aussie meeting in Rome in January 2010 at which a push was made to try and get the British franchise (!) off the ground.

I have to correct one thing in your post though. I am fairly sure that the Australian Confraternity was a child of the original Confraternity of Catholic Clergy that began in the USA. Both the USCCC and the ACCC were founded as a response to the dawning realisation that the other peak clergy organisations in our countries did not represent the views of many priests and were very critical of the Holy Father.

Congratulations on this very positive step for the clergy of Great Britain.

Fr. Anthony Denton, Rome

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...