Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Red High Mass Set

This High Mass set from Douay Abbey's "the Ward Vestments", will not be used at my Jubilee celebrations next Tuesday, I just found this picture on Ponte Sisto and thought the vestments quite splendid, especially the apparels.
Of course vestments are work clothes, the equivalent of overalls or dungarees. Their whole purpose is to act as "disguise", a way of covering up the priest's personality, they are there to remind the priest that he is not really that important, that he fills a role that could be filled by any other priest. Old vestments like these remind him that he is just doing the same thing as any other priest down the ages all those heroic saints and weak sinners.

If you want to come the Mass is at 7.30pm. Fr Sean is deacon and preacher and Fr Tim is subdeacon, it is not a bloggers Mass but ... . Fr Sean has been a close friend for years, and Fr Tim has become a friend through the blogosphere. I owe him a great debt. He was at the seminary at Wonersh when I went on the Selection Conference. I remember discussing Humanae Vitae with a group of other seminarians and him, thinking I should be a bit more liberal than I was actually comfortable with, and putting forward Tabletista arguments against it, Fr Tim tore them to pieces. I felt very foolish, but immensely grateful to him, for demonstrating it was possible to study for the priesthood and be loyal to the Church, as a prospective seminarian I wasn't quite sure it was.

8 comments:

Richard said...

"I felt very foolish, but immensely grateful to him, for demonstrating it was possible to study for the priesthood and be loyal to the Church, as a prospective seminarian I wasn't quite sure it was."

That is possibly the most interesting comment I have read on the web all year.

gemoftheocean said...

Would that I were Dorothy and could turn around 3 times and click my ruby heels and be there. I hope next Tuesday will be splendid for you!

Karen

Anonymous said...

Fr Ray that was lovely explaining how Fr Tim had helped you..

nickbris said...

It will be a memorable occasion Father Ray and may you have many more anniversaries at St Mary Mags.

joe mc said...

Father, you mentioned that someone had generously offered to pay for a polyphonic choir at your anniversary Mass, and that your preference would be Victoria: any updates?

Fr Ray Blake said...

Joe,Yes the Brighton Chamber Choir are sing Victoria's "O Quam Gloriosa"

Hilary said...

Will the Bishop attend your jubilee Mass, Father?

Fr Ray Blake said...

Regrets he is out of the country.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...