Monday, August 10, 2009

Happy St Lawrences day!

I love the truths behind the stories of Saint Lawrence, "Behold, O Emperor, the riches of the Church of Rome", Lawrence said as he showed the murderous Dictator, the poor, the widows and orphans those cared for by the Church.
I am not exactly sure how reliable is the "turn me over, I am done this side", which Lawrence is supposed to have said whist being grilled to death. It reminds us to accept the Cross cheerfully, and perhaps more importantly, that God gives us strength to bear suffering with good humour.
Now, I must go and get a venison burger -£2.30 - for two, to grill for lunch and supper today.

5 comments:

gemoftheocean said...

What a wonderful statue. Where is it located?

Fr Ray Blake said...

goto, Its a Bernini look it up.

Brendan said...

Great story. Good reminder to keep to try and keep a good humorous outlook on life. Thanks.

God Bless,

Brendan

gemoftheocean said...

Kewl!! All those art history classes and they never showed us that one.

Bill of L.A. said...

Father, I arrived at your blog today on an empty stomach. For the love of St. Lawrence, did you really have to mention those venison burgers?!

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...