Monday, December 22, 2008

The Song of the Redeemed

I was struck this morning how amazing the Magnificat is, it is there daily in the Office at Vespers,but today I was struck by this thought.
It is the song of the Immaculate, the Full of Grace, the Proto-Disciple, the Mother of My Lord. Our Lady shows us the soul exulting in Grace. In this song we have the emotions and expectations of the one who lives in intimate union with the Blessed Trinity, who bears God in her womb and heart.
This is the model of our relationship with God, the emotions, the hope, the trust, this what Grace brings, this is song the Church puts into the mouths of the baptised as the light of the day gives way to night's darkness.

“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
my spirit rejoices in God my savior.
for he has looked upon his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
and has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children for ever.”

5 comments:

Delia said...

Your posts get more and more beautiful and profound, Father!

Anonymous said...

Agreed!

torchofthefaith said...

Amen!

bobd said...

Father, I was struck by the same thing. For a young teenager to be able to know her scriptures so thoroughly just floored me. And then I recalled some Bishop somewhere who said that we must not teach our youngsters what to believe. To let them somehow "osmosize" the truth all by themselves. If no one had catechized Our Lady then how could she have responded so wondrously. And how could she have given her "Yes" to God?

Elizabeth said...

How different Our Lady is compared to the teenagers of today, I know it was 2000 years ago but why have we failed so badly. Our Lady is such a perfect model for all women, but how difficult it is to follow her ways.
I guess we need to talk to her more often?

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...