Sunday, June 03, 2007

Emanuel Kaja




Sorry about the poor quality of my pictures!

Emanuel Kaja has installed his crucifixion. I am so pleased it is an wonderful work, the large cross is the background for numerous pebbles suspended on wires, each has a name written on it, from the sides it just looks like a confusion of floating stones, from the front looking directly at it they form a pixelate image of the body of Christ.
For me it is a theologically provocative image saying something about the nature of the body of Christ, the action of the Holy Spirit, the nature of the Church, our relationship with one another, and the vision that faith gives us.
The stones speak out of the Old Testament, the Gospels, the Book of the Apocalypse.
I would love to encourage Emmanuel to do more things that speak directly of his faith.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pictures don't really show it well.
From the sides it looks like the chaos of outerspace, from the front it is Jesus.
I don't like modern art but I like this a lot, it's clever!

Anonymous said...

One could meditate on this installation for a lifetime. It is also very beautiful and very clever. My congratulations to Emanuel and thank you, Father, for allowing it to be placed in our church.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...