Tuesday, June 26, 2007

An Old Rite

The blogosphere is alive with rumours that the Motu Proprio is at the printers and is seriously expected before the Papal holiday beginning on 9th July. I thought it might be a good thing to remember there are other ancient Rites in the Western Church than the Roman Rite.

The video shows the incensation of the people according to the Ambrosian Rite used in Milan, the thurible, interestingly* is open, without a cover.

*I realise that people who want to to tell you something "interesting" normally want to tell you about bogey wheels on the 7712 3 locomotive, or the price of vegetables at Asda.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Father. I've just read in "The Path To Rome":

"I stood in the crypt of the cathedral to hear the Ambrosian Mass, and it was (as I had expected) like any other, save for a kind of second lavabo before the Elevation."

Could the second lavabo be because the top of the thurible is open? Not a particularly important question, I admit, but curious nevertheless.

Anagnostis said...

Interesting indeed...

LOL!!

Physiocrat said...

I noticed the use of a big open thurible at a church in the Milan diocese. I wonder if it is part of the rite?

Andrew said...

Father, might I suggest you check out this clip of incensation?

The good part starts at about 1:15. I might be mistaken, but I believe that of all the thuribles in the City and the world, this one is the great grand-mater et caput.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...